• Lead construction of a World Class Mineral Sands Project in Western Australia
• Foundation leadership position within a newly formed mining Joint Venture
• Perth or Kimberley based role with attractive remuneration package.
Kimberley Mineral Sands Joint Venture (KMSJV) is a 50/50 joint venture between Sheffield Resources Limited (Sheffield) and YGH Australia Investment Pty Ltd (Yansteel), formed to develop the Thunderbird Mineral Sands Project. Thunderbird is a large-scale, world class mineral sands project planning to produce zircon products and ilmenite suitable for manufacturing titanium dioxide pigment or smelting into chloride slag. With low environmental impacts and long-term community benefits, the Project is fully permitted and ready for construction. The Project is located 140km by road between Broome and Derby in Western Australia and has a current mine life in excess of 37 years. The two-year construction period of the Project is planned to commence in 2021.
KMSJV is committed to equal opportunity and provides a workplace where all employees are treated fairly, with respect and where each person's talent and contribution are maximised. We support diversity and aspire to have a workforce that represents the communities in which we are located.
KMSJV is committed to providing real benefits to the Kimberley, local Aboriginal communities and Aboriginal people. Aboriginal and Kimberley located candidates are encouraged to apply for this position.
About the Position
This newly created position is a fantastic opportunity to join a newly formed mining joint venture in a pivotal leadership position to influence corporate values and organisation structure prior to the start of Project construction. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Project Director will be responsible for leading the development of systems and overseeing the implementation of the Project including contracts for the processing plant and other non-process infrastructure; owners works activities; commissioning and the successful handover of the Project to operations.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Actively fostering a culture of zero harm to all employees, contractors, visitors, community and the environment, whilst ensuring compliance with legislation and regulations.
- Ensuring that the Company's interests are upheld with respect of safety, quality, progress and cost and that contractors are held accountable to deliver upon contractual obligations via validation of plans.
- Managing risks, auditing against management plans, ensuring robust governance, monitoring project and financial performance, tracking milestones and variations, and efficiently utilising resources in a highly disciplined manner.
- Working closely with other JV personnel and managing key relationships with the construction manager, contractors, consultants, government, industry groups, community and other stakeholders.
- Experienced in developing systems, processes and procedure to manage the implementation of the Project on key cost, time and quality measures.
- Strong people leadership including demonstrating consistent and visible support for the Company's vision and values, working collaboratively and helping local Kimberley suppliers to build capability and produce sustainable long-term value for the region.
We are seeking an exceptional individual who has a proven track record of delivering medium to large-scale projects from development planning, procuring financial approvals, prime contractor(s) award through to implementation, commissioning and start-up.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in Metallurgy, Engineering, Project Management or similar relevant discipline. Further qualifications in project management methodologies would be advantageous.
- Extensive experience and achievement in managing projects in the resources industry with at least 15 years' experience in projects and operations, across the full project lifecycle. Direct EPC or EPCM experience is desirable.
- Direct project management accountability for planning and construction of significant capital value projects of at least $300m+ total installed cost.
- A capable, collaborative and decisive leadership style.
- A strong industry network and ability to build a high calibre owner's team and project implementation system.
- Ability to effectively manage relationships, build networks and influence internal and external stakeholders to achieve results.
- Advanced user skills with Windows-based computing software packages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to write clear, concise technical reports and presentations.
- A sound understanding of health, safety, environmental and community standards and a commitment to continual improvement.
- A current driver's licence.
This position is being offered as a Perth or Kimberley based role with regular and extended travel, as required.
The Kimberley offers a warm tropical climate and attractive relaxed lifestyle. Broome is a beach resort town with an exotic pearling past, whilst Derby offers a smaller community vibe. Both towns have a rich history and a unique multi-cultural mix of people. With pristine waters, wide empty beaches, abundant wildlife, spectacular fishing, and breathtaking colours the Kimberley offers an attractive lifestyle for singles, couples or families.
This position is offered on a 3 year contract with a competitive remuneration package. Relocation assistance would be offered to a successful candidate, willing to relocate to the Kimberley.
Help us build a truly great owner's team and Project from the ground up. As a values-led organisation, you'll be part of a team who exemplify our values of Sustainability, Integrity, Collaboration and Performance.
How to Apply
When submitting an application please include a cover letter and current resume. All applications will be handled in strict confidence.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or via LinkedIn (preferred).
Prospective candidates must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for this position.