FORUM

2021 in quotes

A LOOK back on some of the most colourful and memorable quotes of 2021.

MNN team
2021 in quotes

Ivanhoe Mines chairman Robert Friedland (January 18): "It's a deepest honour to talk to explorationists, because in our world, the geologists are the gods. In our world, that's where it all comes from. There's more wealth created in the discovery than sitting there tweaking those little dials for 40 years and actually mining."

Former Glencore CEO Ivan Glasenberg to his successor Gary Nagle (February 16): "I hope you consult with me as a shareholder when I'm sitting in the outside of the strategy, and we will discuss this over time together with the other shareholders. But please make sure you keep paying me a good dividend."

Xtract Resources executive chairman Colin Bird on the Racecourse discovery in NSW (March 2): "This is not just another discovery - this is the Melbourne Cup and we've got a frontrunner."

South32 CEO Graham Kerr on his time as CFO of BHP (March 25): "It made sense for money and career reasons, but it probably took away three-and-a-half years I'd like to have back."

Chalice Mining chairman Tim Goyder on surviving as an explorer (May 25): "You become a dinosaur if you don't keep learning. I could probably write a book about what you shouldn't do."

Chamber of Minerals and Energy WA CEO Paul Everingham on sexual misconduct on mine sites (June 25): "Twelve months ago I wasn't thinking this was the most significant issue on mine sites. For me, right now, it is the most significant issue."

IGO CEO Peter Bradford on his tenure (July 12) "There was a snippet in the paper that talked about how scientists are projecting humans will live to 130 in the coming years and I circulated that to everyone because I'm not even middle-aged now! 65 is the new middle age!"

Lynas CEO Amanda Lacaze on using too many superlatives (July 26): "I've had too many ski instructors tell me my turns are awesome when I know they are anything but."

Peter Cook on his semi-retirement (August 2): "The difference between a non-executive director and a supermarket trolley is that you can fit more free food and drink into a non-executive company director. And what's more, a supermarket trolley's got a mind of its own."

Develop managing director Bill Beament (August 2): "Gold's not green - sorry, but it's not."

Cube Consulting general manager and CME WA's 2021 Outstanding Woman in Resources Rebecca Prain (August 3): "Women need amplification and it can be authentically and respectfully done by men and other women. There are great male allies in our industry and this number is growing all the time. Can I be very clear - the bright young women in your organisation need allies and they definitely need sponsors."

Pilbara Minerals MD Ken Brinsden (August 3): "If you're in iron ore, if you're in, arguably even in gold, and definitely if you're in fossil fuels, you'd be having an existential crisis today wondering what the future of your industry is, because it's not going to be tolerated in its current form for too much longer."

A North American fund manager on the return of physical conferences (August 6): "It will be a meat market like a big nightclub with everyone sniffing one another's bums."

Australian Workers' Union national secretary Daniel Walton on reporting sexual misconduct (August 16): "The fact women believe they'll be blacklisted as troublemakers if they come forward is a shameful indictment on the culture created by the big miners. Women are every bit as entitled to mining jobs as men. At the moment the culture created by management is telling women loud and clear they are not welcome."

Australian resources minister Keith Pitt after the UN called for Australia to dump coal (September 6): "The future of this crucial industry will be decided by the Australian government, not a foreign body that wants to shut it down costing thousands of jobs and billions of export dollars for our economy."

Argonaut chairman Eddie Rigg on Andrew Forrest (September 8): "Twiggy wants to take over the world and why shouldn't he?" 

Hallgarten & Co analyst Christopher Ecclestone (September 8): "Unfortunately, some players think that 'first mover' status comes from putting out a press release before anyone else."

Newmont Asia Pacific boss Alex Bates on wanting to recommend mining as a career to female family members (September 9): "I'm not convinced that's the case at the moment and that's personally disappointing and shameful."

Barrick Gold CEO Mark Bristow on consolidation (September 14): "The Australians are such good miners but they don't get the corporate structures right. I was very hopeful when I saw Northern Star lead consolidation there because it created a real competitor in that market, but it stalled."

IKN News blogger Mark Turner (September 27): "Aussie miners overpay for assets. There may be a vicious (virtuous?) circle at boardroom level, with Aussie shareholders expecting more from their companies, plus execs willing to take one extra risk."

Australasian Centre for Corporate Responsibility director of climate and environment Dan Gocher on FMG's aggressive emissions targets (October 5): "FMG's bold target overshadows the lack of ambition by BHP and Rio Tinto, whose absence of firm targets for steelmaking is looking increasingly lacklustre. BHP and Rio Tinto should be embarrassed by being outdone by a company they once referred to as a ‘junior miner'." 

MNN columnist Dryblower (October 11): "The real lesson from China's unfolding power crisis is that while coal might kill you through the effects of climate change some time in the future, not using coal today if you live in a country exposed to sub-zero temperatures, could kill you a lot quicker, not long after you lose your job because there's not enough power to keep factory gates open.

Mincor Resources managing director David Southam on meeting milestones (November 4): "Unsurprisingly, when you're in control of the presentation, you're going to give yourself a tick for everything."

Fortescue Metals Group chairman Andrew Forrest on the company's green push (November 9): "We have our detractors but today we are again ahead of the curve."

Mineral Resources CEO Chris Ellison (November 18): "Yeah, I do have a lot of shares and I have more money than I know what to do with. I come to work because I have a passion for this business, the people I am with and the industry we are in. My passion for the business motivates me. Does money? No, it doesn't."

Northern Star Resources chairman Michael Chaney on staying modern at 71 (November 18): "I now don't tuck my shirt in, as an example."

Firefinch managing director Michael Anderson on the company's multiple equity raisings since October 2020 (December 9): "You can't build two world class businesses on fresh air and pixie dust."

Fortescue Metals Group CEO Elizabeth Gaines (December 10): "It would be great if we could get to the position where a female CEO is not the main part of the story and front page and that this is the norm, because after 30-odd years in my career I actually didn't think we'd be having this conversation anymore, so corporate Australia can and should do a lot more."

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the mining sector, brought to you by the Mining News Intelligence team.

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the mining sector, brought to you by the Mining News Intelligence team.

editions

MiningNews.net Research Report 2024

Access a multi-pronged tool to identify critical risks and opportunities in Australia’s mining industry.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence Investor Sentiment Report 2024

Survey revealing the plans, priorities, and preferences of 120+ mining investors and their expectations for the sector in 2024.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence Mining Equities Report 2023

Access an exclusive, inside look on the quarterly mining IPOs and secondary raisings data and mining equities performance tables with an annual Stock Exchange Comparisons supplement.

editions

Mining Journal Intelligence World Risk Report 2023 (feat. MineHutte ratings)

A detailed analysis of mining investment risks across 121 jurisdictions globally, built on 11 ‘hard risk’ metrics and an industrywide survey.