Gain insights into social licence trends and best practices from interviews with 20+ top mining company executives and an industrywide survey.
Mining Journal Intelligence’s (MJI) annual Global Leadership Report delivers unique, detailed insights into priority issues facing the mining industry today.
The 2023 issue focuses on trends and best practices in community relations, or social licence to operate – which was identified as one of the industry’s biggest challenges in earlier editions.
Expertise is gained through interviews with 20+ C-suite executives of larger mining companies (with combined market caps of over US$300 billion) and an industrywide survey.
Key trends under discussion include how societal shifts are complicating community relations efforts and the industry’s response to this increasing complexity, including proven strategies and tools for keeping local residents onside, and spending levels.
Other standout themes include how mining’s global reputation is influencing local opinions about the industry, whether community challenges are creating ‘no-go’ zones for mining companies, and how automation will affect the delicate relationship between the industry and communities in the future.
The Global Leadership Report uses a two-pronged approach to deliver insights: interviews with C-suite executives of larger mining companies (>US$1 billion market cap), coupled with an industrywide survey.
More than 20 senior executives were interviewed for the 2023 edition between April and July, representing companies with aggregate market caps of more than US$300 billion.
The survey was promoted by email between May to July. We received more than 220 responses, mainly from mining company officials, as well as mining services companies and investors.
The 2023 theme of community relations/social licence to operate was chosen after being identified as C-suite executives’ second to top current priority in our 2021 edition, after safety, which was covered in the 2022 Global Leadership Report.
Access this report:
Mining Journal Research and Intelligence delivers annual standalone reports that expand upon the most relevant discussion points in the mining sector.
If you’d like to purchase the Mining Journal Intelligence Leadership Report 2023: Social licence as a standalone, please make your purchase here.
Access all reports with a Mining News Premium subscription at www.miningnews.net/subscribe.
PDF Enterprise licence:
- Ability to access the content while working remotely or offline.
- Universally compatible with all major operating systems, quick and easy to read regardless of device.
- Smaller file sizes making it efficient to share internally.
- Option to extract sections from the pdf report to include in company presentations.
- Get unlimited distribution rights for your entire organization, including subsidiaries.
- Capability to quickly and efficiently search for topics or companies from within your report.
- Contact us on +44 (0) 208 187 2299 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request for an enterprise license.
INSIDE THIS REPORT
• Is maintaining a social licence to operate getting harder and why?
• What are mining companies’ most effective strategies to maintain community support?
• How will automation – potentially leading to fewer onsite jobs – shape the nature of community relations in the future?